The Facebook Page call to action (CTA) button
on your cover pic is the large blue button on the right hand side, or on mobile, the one that sits below your cover image (it’s still Facebook blue).
Here’s the video version (grab yourself a cuppa and enjoy 40 mins of value)
Having the right CTA button does require some thought. Facebook has categorised them into 7 categories currently (there are likely more to be added). The categories you see on your page may not include some of the categories listed here. This is because your Page template may be different or you may not have some functions activated. For instance, my page, Social Media for Small Biz Owners, is linked to my group, Social Media (Facebook) for Small Biz Owners, and since that’s linked, I can now have a ‘visit group’ CTA button to encourage people to join my online community to find out more about Facebook for your business.
I’ve also got a messenger chatbot integrated with my Page inbox, which is why I have the option to ‘Use Messenger Bot’ items as my CTA button.
The categories are:
- Book Services
- Get in touch
- Learn more
- Use our messenger bot
- Make a purchase or donation
- Download app or game
- Visit group
There are several options under each of these categories.
- Book Services
- Book Now (lets people schedule appointments or book trips with you)
- Start order (Make it easy for people to order food from you)
- Get in touch
- Call Now (Let people call you with one tap on their phone)
- Contact Us (Take people to a form on your website to get more sales leads)
- Send Message (Make it easy for people to send your Page a Facebook message)
- Sign Up (Take people to a form on your website to get more leads and subscribers)
- Get Quote (Take people to a form on your page so they can request more information about your business)
- Send Email (Make it easy for people to email you from your Page)
- Learn More
- Watch Video (Take people to a video on Facebook or your website)
- Learn More (Take people to where they can see more information about your organisation)
- Use our Messenger bot
- Get Started (Send more people to your bot in Messenger)
- Get Support (Make it easy for people to get customer service in Messenger)
- Get Updates (Increase your number of subscribers in Messenger)
- Play Now (Get more people to play your game in Messenger)
- Shop Now (Get more people to see and purchase your products in Messenger)
- Make a purchase or donation
- Shop Now (Get more people to see and buy products on your website or Page)
- See Offers (Get more people to see and claim offers on your Page)
- Download app or game (Let people download or play your game)
- Visit group (Take people to your selected group)
How do you choose the best Facebook Page call to action option for you?
That will depend on your strategy and what you do. For instance, if you are a charity, you may want to look at encouraging people to make a donation (may not be available in all countries yet and you must have your Page category set to “Non-Profit Organisation” only and no other categories), or for a therapist, you could use it as an online booking service.
People can click the CTA button and book their own appointments online when they are free. You set the dates and times you are available. There are great apps out there that can help manage your bookings all through your page and you can link your preferred one directly to your CTA button.
Pizza shops and restaurants could have a phone number CTA so that people can call immediately and order food or book a seat.
When you are selecting your CTA, be mindful of what your target profile would do. Picking your CTA because you have products and you want people to buy them is not necessarily the best strategy. Especially if you are a ‘social marketer’ (also known as ‘network marketer’) and have the ‘Shop Now’ button linked to your company replicated website. I believe this is not an effective use of your CTA button and can guarantee that 99.9% of people who visit your page WILL NOT click that button.
A better strategy may be to encourage people to get to know you first, and then offer them your products or services. You can do this by using the ‘Watch Video’ CTA button.
In fact, the ‘Watch Video’ call to action button is the one I suggest for people new to Facebook or wanting to grow their target audience fast to attract clients.
To pick up the phone and make a call or to click the shop now button or even to send a message (to a lesser extent) requires your potential client to have a sense of knowing you, liking you and trusting you. If they don’t know you from Adam, the rest won’t flow. I find this is particularly true for service based businesses in the alternative healing professions. We deal with people who are often quite vulnerable and need to make it as easy as possible for people to know who we are. Video is a great way to fast track this process.
Just know that it’s not set in concrete when you do choose a CTA button. I’d encourage you to play with them a bit, mix it up. Monitor your insights and see what works. You may find that you are getting heaps of views on your video when your CTA is ‘Watch Video’ (under ‘Learn More’ category) and no calls when your CTA is ‘Call Now’ (under ‘Get in Touch’ category). This may mean that people are watching you, checking you out and getting to know you. I believe Facebook is the best place for giving people the opportunity to do just that.
It can be confusing being on Facebook as a small business. Not knowing where to click, what to post or how to ‘be’ can be overwhelming. To help you navigate this amazing resource for your business, I’ve written a guide, called ‘Breaking the Facebook Code: 10 steps to getting clients‘. You’re welcome to download your own FREE copy here: Breaking the Facebook Code: 10 steps to getting clients.
Use the guide to help you get an overview of what you can do on Facebook to enhance your business presence (including using the Facebook Page call to action button) and attract more clients!