Have you always thought that writing an ebook is hard?
Too much work? Not sure where to start?
Do you have all of this knowledge your head about your area of expertise and need to get it out?
I thought it was hard work too. I also thought I didn’t have anything to say that people would find useful. Or how to organise what I did know so that it made sense and had a logical flow to it.
Then I stumbled across a great process by which I put together an ebook in a matter of hours, from start to being published! It was so easy and quick that I was left wondering why I didn’t do it eons ago…because I didn’t know the process!
Why would you want to write an ebook?
I have this notion that some people may think that writing an ebook and selling it online is going to make you rich. I don’t believe that to be true at all. If you are looking for fame and fortune just from writing an ebook, then this isn’t for you. Natasa Denman, from the Ultimate 48 Hour Author fame, teaches that books written for bookshops rarely see the light of day. Natasa tells us to think of your book as a business card on steroids, one which will open doors for you and pave the way for creating strong networks by setting you up as an expert, a thought leader in your field.
Shane Fozard, from the Australian Success Academy in his ‘Unleash Your Inner Speaker’ training, teaches us that organised knowledge is the most valuable of all knowledge. If you can find a way to organise what you know so that it makes logical and practical sense to others, you have found yourself a winning formula that will attract attention and create followers who are hungry for what you have to offer.
While the ebook I’m talking about here is a different type of book to the traditional book, it is no less valuable, if created and used for a specific purpose. That purpose is to attract your avatar, or ideal client, by creating such value that people are willing to exchange their email addresses in return for your ebook.
Writing an ebook for your small business marketing funnel.
It is essentially the top of your marketing funnel. Not heard of a marketing funnel before, or not sure what it is? Check out this video where I show you my marketing funnel. You can use a similar concept for your own business, and if you are in direct sales, or network marketing, I’ve created a marketing funnel just for you.
Have you heard the saying ‘the money is in the list?’ It’s not in the ebook, your ebook is a powerful tool that will help you create your list. Once you have people’s email addresses, you can nurture the relationship with them, add real value and they will become your tribe of raving fans who are hungry for what you have to offer!
So, how do you do it? It’s actually a simple 6 step process that I’ll outline here.
- First, you need to have a title. It could be the 3 things you need to know; the 5 steps to success; the 4 principles of living healthy…what is important about the title is that you have a number and an action that are linked to what you are writing about;
- Write an opening sentence, one that will grab attention and hold it. Use action packed, colourful words about what results people can get from reading your ebook;
- Write a kickass opening paragraph that tells people in more detail exactly what they will get when they read your ebook. Use action-orientated, colourful words;
- Write your story. People want to know about YOU, what brought you to this point, what pain have you been through that has resulted in you taking steps to make changes in a positive way that you are now sharing with people to help them through a similar situation;
- Do a table of contents. This is a listing of the ‘5 steps’, or ‘4 principles’;
- Unpack each of the items outlined in your table of contents with an opening sentence that describes what is so important, vital or critical about that point you are making. Then share with your reader the three most important things about it. You can use dot-points or paragraphs.
Simple. When you are writing your ebook for your small business, there are some other things to consider too.
- You will want to limit the length to between 5 – 12 pages. People are time-poor and want to consume information in small bites. No waffling (a challenge for me!);
- Use quotes to emphasise each point and source appropriate images or graphics to make your ebook colourful and interesting to view. You can get free graphics from many websites; and my friend Stef Rigby has written a blog that gives you a plethora of websites to choose from;
- Include a powerful metaphor that sums up what you’ve written about;
- If you have a website, remember to link it in the footer of each page. You can also use clickable links to direct people to other resources you may have online, and
- Always include a call to action. What is it you would like people to do after downloading your ebook? What’s the next step for them to take? Ask them to join your online community? Attend a free webinar?
I have a growing community on Facebook. It’s called the Facebook Code Breakers.
When I ‘discovered’ this quick, easy process to put together an ebook, I took it to the Code Breakers and asked if they were interested in seeing for themselves how easy it actually is to put together an ebook. I told them I could help them get something together in just one hour!
People rose to the challenge and now we’ve produced several authors and one girl is even onto her second ebook in as many weeks!
While the Facebook Code Breakers is a private, membership based group where I run an 8 week bootcamp teaching people how to use Facebook as a powerful business tool, you can access the closed group where there is a growing community of people who support and encourage each other to win on Facebook with their small businesses. It’s called Social Media (Facebook) for Small Biz Owners. See you there!
If you are keen to see how well your Facebook business page is doing and work out where you can improve, you can download your FREE copy of the Facebook Biz Page Health Checklist while you are there!You are also welcome to join our community of small biz owners on Facebook, Social Media (Facebook) for Small Biz Owners and check out my Facebook Page, Social Media for Small Biz Owners.
If you are wanting to write your own ebook and would like some help, connect with me and I’ll show you how. Here’s what Theonie Roussianos said about getting her ebook written:
Adaire shared her story about the process of having written an eBook and when she added the fact that her 15 year old son has written one, I knew I had to write one, too. If he could do it, so I could I. I had no idea where to start so this is when I got help from a trusted professional. Adaire walked me through a simple step by step process to unpack my eBook and then I went away to pad it out. Adaire helped me with the process afterwards as well including everything I needed to do to get a cover done and have it published professionally and then uploaded for access to all. The end product turned into something I am quite proud of. I am in the process of writing my second book now and it is a whole lot less daunting. It’s a matter of just sitting down and doing it.
Thank you, Adaire. I’ve ticked something off the bucket list and in the process, experienced a crazy level of personal growth, too.
Theonie was diagnosed with Hashimotos disease and suffered from fatigue. She has successfully made changes in her lifestyle to reduce inflammation and overcome fatigue and has shared her knowledge of how she did this through practical tips in her ebook, ‘5 Top Tips to Reducing Inflammation and Overcoming Fatigue’. You can grab your own copy from Theonie’s Facebook page, Theonie Roussianos.
If you’d like some help writing your own ebook, I’d be most happy to help you. We will:
- spend an hour together brainstorming and sketching out the outline of your book;
- Get you sorted with images (royalty-free and legal) and quotes;
- Get your book a cover page,
- Get your book professionally formatted and published in .pdf, and
- Get your email auto responder connected to your Facebook Business page so you can exchange your ebook for an email address.
Although we can get your book smashed out in an hour, it will take 3 or 4 hours to get it all set up properly. For a small investment of $297 you will get all of this PLUS a book at the end of it! Your return on investment potential is huge, as an ebook immediately sets you up as an expert and thought leader, generating interest, validation and potentially clients/customers. Book now. Payment plans are available and must be negotiated. Contact Adaire Palmer through my profile on Facebook for more informatin.
I am grateful to Kerwin Rae for introducing me to this process and have adapted it to include some things that weren’t in the original process.
To Your Success!